The Stepping Stones of Speech

Nicole Miller

Nicole Miller from Wilton High School has been coaching the Wilton Speech students as long as she has been teaching. Over the past 14 years, Miller has led multiple students to a challenge that builds their courage, overcomes bashful behavior, and significantly improves communication skills. On Monday, February 24th,  at Mid Prairie, the speech students gathered themselves and prepared for a competition. All of them competed at the competition and will continue their performance at districts on Saturday, February 29th, at Wapello. 

As the 9 students prepare themselves for districts, they also have to prepare for their chance to go to state. State speech is held near the middle of March and in order to move on to state, you have to receive a division 1 rating from a single judge at districts. At state, students have to perform in front of 3 judges in hopes of receiving another division 1 rating. The competitors are from all over Iowa in the River Valley Conference. 

Coach Miller hopes to see all of her speech students continue on to state, “Hopefully we will have one student go to state, but I wish I could see every student I coach go to state.” The students of speech have a variety of options they can perform. Students can perform singing speeches, they can improv, read poems, radio speeches, and more. Speech is a unique activity to be involved in because of its variety. Students not only have a variation of speeches, but they also have a diverse pool of competitors, who can be anyone from any sized school from anywhere in the area. Coach Miller plans on continuing to lead students to division 1 victory and help them improve their skills.